The Seventh Virginia Artillery Company portrays an attached artillery unit that marches and fights with the infantry battalion.
The 7th Virginia owns and fields a “brass” 3-pounder gun, nicknamed “Molly,” on a Virginia War Department designed carriage for the purpose of supporting light infantry. With regards to the carriage, as William Davies of the Virginia War Department described it, “to spare a great part of the axle tree, so as to have the wheels a great deal closer together.” This configuration was “much more convenient for the woods.” Molly’s carriage is also similar with the Townshend carriage as fielded by the British and could be pulled by one horse. With regards to the “brass” 3 pounder barrel, it was a very common field gun in Continental service.
The Seventh Virginia Artillery Company also has a member who owns a “brass” 4-pounder, nicknamed Libby (for Liberty), also on a Virginia War Department type carriage. In addition to the gun, there is a limber (as shown in Muller but with a cart hook-up as recommended by Colonial Williamsburg), harness, and horse to pull the gun. This 4-pounder has the same dimensions as a Spanish gun cast in 1752 and is the apex in design in that it is the maximum caliber practical muzzle-loading field gun that can be pulled by a single horse
Those interested in joining the 7th Virginia Artillery should refer to the Artillery Manual for more information on clothing and accouterments to serve in the Artillery Company. As with all companies in the 7th Virginia Regiment current members are always available and willing to assist you on your journey to the 18th century.
*CURRENTLY ON LOAN TO THE GREAT BRIDGE MUSEUM*
The Seventh Virginia Regiment also has a 2-pound Gun on a “Galloper” Carriage that was purchased from the former Maryland Militia. They purchased wheels and axle from an Amish wheelwright and they built the carriage themselves from plans drawn from historical record. The tube was made by South Bend Replicas and is a reproduction of a swivel gun from the Gun Boat Philadelphia used on Lake Champlain by Benedict Arnold in 1776